Wednesday, March 4, 2009

I NEED A MORE FILES!

So sorry I've been away without an explanation. Here it is:

I noted last week I was thankful about our upcoming cruise. (yes Bev, the O's are going with us) I'm a planner when it comes to vacations. I buy guide books so I'll have something to read while waiting in the car etc. I scour the web for articles. But mostly I spend a crazy amount of time at tripadvisor.com on the message boards. This cruise has six ports plus Puerto Rico where we are leaving from. That means seven files full of facts and opinions plus one file just for cruise info and another file just for flight info. Speaking of flight info, hubby flies a lot and has tons of flyer miles. Well, he HAD tons of flyer miles until I cashed them all in a few weeks ago to pay for this flight. Yep, three free tickets to Puerto Rico. The fourth ticket, we are getting free from using credit card points. Hubby uses that card for all work expenses, hotel bills, etc. That's the one that was giving me fits on Monday. First of all, don't ever book your airfare on Monday, wait til Tuesday. If the cost is going to go down, it will be on Tuesday. For some reason, Monday I decided I'd better check the price for the 4th ticket.....holy moly, the price had gone up $150 since I'd last checked!!! PANIC!!! This is not supposed to happen this way. That means it was going to cost MORE points than we had and the flight was almost full!!! What to do, what to do??? I spent most of Monday online trying to figure it out. I didn't sleep well Monday night. This was not going to go over well with Hubby if we'd have to actually pay for an airline ticket. That was whole reason for chosing this cruise from PR instead of Galveston (an hour's drive away). So Tuesday morning, before taking Bailey to the groomer (pic to follow), I logged on just to see if the cost had gone down. Nope, still $659 instead of $487 like it had been for months. After dropping Bailey off, I had to take my truck in for oil change/maintenance. It's about 20 min over there and I began to pray. I pray a lot in Houston traffic, but this prayer was a panic prayer about how I was going to figure this out. I thought I had all the answers to planning this trip and suddenly, I had messed up somehow. No sooner than I'd said "Amen" did I have an idea "call the rewards program and talk to people who actually know what they're talking about". Oh, thank you Father for that brilliant idea. I mean it....it was brilliant! I couldn't wait to get home and call. Problem solved. I can book now, save points for 90 more days, then submit the charge for reimbursement. Yea God! So I went ahead and booked the flight. But then when I got to the page "select seat". I got the dreaded "we cannot assign a seat for this flight" message. Oh no! That usually means the flight is booked and you are not guaranteed a seat. Can you imagine what that news would do to hubby? I can hear it now "well, Clint doesn't actually have a seat on the return flight, but I'm sure he'll get home from Puerto Rico somehow". LOL, right. So I heard the voice of reason again "call the airline and talk to people who actually know what they're doing". This post is getting too long, but bear with me. I got connected to the nicest person. When I told him what I was trying to do, he at first sounded very concerned....until I told him my hubby is "elite status". Those are the magic words. He not only got the seat assigned, he also moved us around so we all sit together coming and going! Yea God!!! I was only able to choose seats that were showing up on my screen. But he was able to see seats I couldn't. There's a lesson here: No matter how things look to me, God has the whole picture in his sight. His computer screen is way better than mine!!
Sooooo anyway, that's where I've been the past two days.
Here's Bailey after her trip to the beauty shop. Watching for squirrels, of course.


Have you read the Book of Esther lately? I remembered little about it until I started my Bible Study. You can easily read the entire book in about an hour....go read it. Fascinating!

Happy Wednesday. Oh I almost forgot. Our high school boys basketball team is one game away from going to state. This team came out of no where and has only lost 6 games. Jordan is in full cheer mode....no shirt, paints numbers on his chest, you know one of those obnoxious students at the games. Pictures of that tomorrow.

4 comments:

Growin' With It said...

hmm, never knew about the monday/tuesday dealie on plane tickets! great advice...as well as looking past the computer screen.

so cute how you plan ahead. i'm sure all your hard work makes it a BLAST for everyone else. hope they thank you and appreciate you for that! ☺

heard about the loop, the loop and another loop in houston on our study video yesterday (weird context) but made me think of you driving around in that big ol' city. you brave girl you!

valerie said...

Oh, I'm such a planner too. Everyone gives me a hard time, but hey...I'm not the one left with no ticket or no hotel room or a flight that has doubled in charge. :) I always get my Beth Moore conference tickets about a year in advance. I really get teased for that.

Right now two other couples are talking aboutus all going on a trip to Vegas because my husband, his friend and another gal will turn 50 this year.
One of the couples said "Oh, my husband goes all the time, he can (probably) get us free rooms." Well, I have already begun to look at pretty cheap airfares and if you add a room it's super cheap. She tells me to just get the airfare....
my mind starts thinking..."What if we don't get a free room...what if it's just a good deal, but not as good as this combined trip!!" I drive them crazy, I know. :)
One friend told that one..."It's not until summer is it?" ummmm, yes....but....
I'm glad it all worked out so well for you AND that you all get to sit together. God is a great travel agent! He cares about every detail of our lives.

I'm hoping your high school boys keep doing so well. Yay for Jordan being such a good cheer leader!

(Sorry for the novel) ;)

Love,
Valerie

Shauna said...

I am new here! What a great blog :)

Beverly said...

Wow Laura - I see a career for you in all that planning!! And I love your analogy to how God sees it all even when we don't. So true!

Elite status, huh? I might try those words sometime...

Can't wait for pics of Jordan as the crazy fan!! Sounds like he's making the most of his sr. year!