Wednesday, January 14, 2009

THE NEW, IMPROVED BEDROOM

As promised, I am posting pics today of Jordan's bedroom exactly 4 months after Hurricane Ike. There have been some stressful moments, mostly financial concerns with the repairs, but all in all, we have been extremely blessed. God placed a Godly contractor in our path who in turn used Godly workers. There are still many homes in our neighborhood with tarps on the roofs. The homes in the cul-de-sac down the street that suffered such devastating damage are about half repaired. However, people in Galveston are still suffering. The damage there is completely unbelievable. Insurance issues, FEMA issues, wind storm insurance (who knew there was such a thing?), unemployment, people are really hurting. Tourism is slowly coming back with the arrival of the cruise ships but it will take years for things to be anywhere close to normal.


So without further ado.......




Notice the beautiful fan, with it's straight blades. And no insulation in sight!




We ended up going with carpet instead of wood. Insurance "paid" for the flooring in two bedrooms, the hall and our tv room. That still left the master bedroom and the third bedroom plus two bathrooms that wasn't paid for. It was going to cost over $10,000 to put wood down. Thank goodness we love our carpet!



As I mentioned a few blogs ago, before Bailey, there was "RockythebeautifulSheltie". I have figured out the scanner and ta-da, here he is. He was only 7 when he had a ruptured disk in his back. Surgery might have helped him, but there was no guarantee it would work. With much sadness, we put him down. (Bawling now, sorry.)

Didn't mean to be a downer after such good news with the house repairs but I guess that's part of life. The good and the bad.


In honor of Brandon's birthday, here's a picture Clint has in his bedroom (easy for me to get to it quickly). What is it about my sons and wigs? The handsome dude on the left is Brandon. Happy Birthday yesterday. This is from 2001 at Falls Creek, Jr. High retreat.Now that I've figured out the scanner, there's no telling what I'll post here!

Gotta jet....photo albums are calling my name!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very nicely done on the room. Congrats!

And Bailey is so beautiful. That's the problem with animals - their lives are way too short in relation to ours...

O Fam said...

Congrats on the finished repairs!! The room looks great. I know you are so thankful!

I think I remember those young boys in that picture. Seems like a lifetime ago.

valerie said...

His room looks great! We have some wood floors and have actually thought of pulling up the carpet in the living room and getting wood, but I think I want to stick with carpet. We'll see....

A couple who attend our church had a house in Galveston or Padre ??? that was totally destroyed. They didn't have insurance.

I would love a Starbucks mug from Houston. That is so sweet of you! I'll always think of you and Beth Moore & Amanda Moore Jones when I look at it. (the only three people I know in Houston)

I'll e-mail you about it & find out how much they are etc...

Our church goes to Falls Creek & my friend and I are the cooks! Actually last year was our first year to go as a sponsor and we liked it so much we're going back.

I went as a teenager and loved it.
It's a neat place.

I'm so sorry about your dog. I still cry too about our little Molly and it's almost been two years. In fact I saw a picture of her last night that I took her last day with us & I got all teary eyed.

Glad you got the bedroom finished.
Thanks for sharing.
And....Yay that Sam Bradford is coming back!!! Some think he's crazy....I say "Money isn't everything."

Have a good day....sorry for the novel. :)

Love,
Valerie

Beverly said...

So I'm gonna need you to take my place as the "how-to" girl and give me a tutorial on the scanner. Every time I scan, it is small and just weird!!

What a cute picture of the boys. Brandon will crack up at that! I have a picture of Clint, Ryan H, Billy D and Chilcoat in a van coming back from who knows where on my fridge. (See, if you do a tutorial, I'll share it with you!!)

J's room is wonderful - and SUPAH clean. How long will that last?

And Rocky was soooo beautiful. I'm sorry he's gone.

Growin' With It said...

gorgeous room. so what color is the wall btw? like it! sad day w/ your pooch. i'm one of those pet owners who feel like they are losing a child when something like that happens. and that pix of the boys...well now "men"...funny!! how skinny, scrawny there were. what studs now though!

valerie said...

P.S. Check out my blog....I tagged you.

valerie said...

Cool...hOUston! I'd not seen that in the middle of Houston before. ;)

I e-mailed you. Let me know if you get it, ok?

Tell your son I said "Happy Birthday!"