Monday, January 26, 2009

A BEACH AND A BALL

Saturday, D and I took a little drive down to the coast. He had found a pair of motorcycle chaps for sale and "they were too good a bargain to pass up" so we went to get them. This was our first visit down to the coast since Ike messed everything up in September. We weren't in the Galveston area, but farther south in the Surfside area. What we saw broke our hearts. Many, many homes still a mess. I couldn't bring myself to take many pictures of them. I'm sure many of them were vacation homes, and not actually where people live, but still it's someone's home.
These homes are right on the beach

I'm pretty sure this sand is supposed to be on the beach, not bulldozed up off the road

It was a cloudy day. Maybe a sunnier day would've made it a little less dreary.

This is a pic of the sprawling refinery's around the area. I believe most gasoline in the US is refined here.

Saturday night, J went to his girl's Brigade Ball. Brigade is what I'd call pom pom squad back in the old days. I wasn't in pom, but was a band nerd/baton twirler. Bet you'd like to see pics of me twirling. Unfortunately, very few exist. Anyway, where was I? Oh yes, Brigade Ball. It's kinda like prom....the girls get all fancied up and the guys wear a tux. He's the cute couple

Don't they clean up well? I don't know what J said to crack her up, but this is what they usually look like

It was cold! Well, cold for here; probably in the low 40s during the picture taking. The girls were frozen by the time we were finished. I think there were 12 couples in all. We loved Js Tuxedo, but it was almost too burnt orange for us (if you know what I mean). We'll be doing it all over again in April for his prom. Maybe he can get a lovely crimson tuxedo this time.

I'm finished with my Beth Moore Esther homework already and have started week two. I think the next three videos will be the one's I attended during the filming. We'd go more often, but it's a huge traffic hassle to get there. I love this study and think it's my favorite. I say that each time.

Happy Monday!

6 comments:

Al's World said...

Hey! I get to see you soon, short, but soon!!!! I love your title, very clever dear! I saw those pics on Facebook, and meant to comment, but didn't have a chance! They are soooo cute, she is very lovely! I can't believe we were there in July and all of that hit! Man! Love you and can't wait to see you!

Growin' With It said...

i think i can manage to find a baton to send you. it'd be worth it to see a youtube video of you twirling! oh man does your son look hansome and his girl...gorgeous and that color rocks!

the devastation...heartbreaking. hard to believe things are still not back to "better". poor people.

thanks for the lovin' today btw!☺

valerie said...

I love the pictures. They look great!
I have to agree....crimson would look really nice! ;)

I'm just loving the study of Esther. How neat that you were able to attend a few of the taping sessions. I bet it is a hassle to get there though.
We had to cancel last night's meeting because of the weather. Everyone was really sad and disappointed.

I'm actually off work today and almost all schools are closed. I plan to be real lazy!

Have a great Tues.

valerie said...

Your husband does resemble Ed Murray.
That's funny because I've always thought E.M. reminded me of another man that used to go to our church & I was just thinking about that this morning.

I just saw the 7 day weather and it said Fri. & Sat. it's supposed to be sunny and in the high 50's.
I just found out all the area school's are closed again tomorrow. I get to stay home and be lazy again tomorrow. YAY!

Cara said...

Jordan & his girlfriend are so cute! We actually are not leaving for St. Louis until the first...we'd love to see ya'll this weekend! And of course use the OG discount. ;o)

Beverly said...

Oh my word!! They are a beautiful couple. Love the pic of her cracking up!