I went on a day trip with some girlfriends Saturday. I'm so thankful I can say that! Anyway, we went to the town of Round Top, Texas where they have a massive antique/craft show. Think Canton on a little smaller scale. None of us were really looking for anything in particular but we all managed to find a "treasure". Mine is this bowl
It's a Fireking bowl like my Granny had. I remember these bowls vividly. She had a mixing bowl that always had potato salad in it at Thanksgiving. She would take a boiled egg, cut the yolk in half and place it in the center. Then slice the white part of the egg and put it around the yolk to look like a flower. When my Granny couldn't live alone any more, my uncles decided they would sell my Grandparents things in auction to pay for her living expenses. I had to bid on the things that meant the most to me. The first thing I HAD to have was a manger set that I proudly display every Christmas. The only other things I HAD to have were some of her dishes and as many of the bowls as I could afford. Well, I wasn't the only one bidding on the bowls and I only managed to get one of them. It's been my passion ever since to buy the pattern when I see it. I bought this bowl Saturday for ONE DOLLAR!!! I could not believe my eyes. It was in a box outside a booth marked "everything's a dollar". I looked around thinking surely this bowl doesn't belong here. It's beautiful!! I don't have one exactly like it and I felt like I was stealing it! I would've gladly paid more for it. I brought it home and proudly showed my family. They understand what a big deal it is. I ran it through the dishwasher and it came out so shiny and just too pretty to use.
That got me wondering about the origin of the bowl that ended up in the dollar box. You know it belonged to a Granny at one time. These bowls are from the 1950s. Why would anyone discard it? Did someone need money so badly they put it in a garage sale and it eventually ended up in Round Top, Texas? Did they have extras and didn't need this one anymore? Was it a mistake and now some granddaughter is looking for her Granny's bowl? I don't know why I stumbled upon it, but think God must have thought I needed a little pick me up after the storm fiasco.
I'm grateful for my dollar bowl!



5 comments:
what a beautiful post. it felt so bad reading that part about the auction. that would be devastating. and even if things are "things" they bring us so many memories and feelings of people we love.
what a treasure Laura. i love hearing how God delights us with these small details and shows his tender love in these moments.
congrats. i'm grinning so big for you this morning!
***The Auction was in 1995 and was quite traumatic***
You must use that bowl! I fully expect to see a picture of that bowl full of potato salad with an egg flower on it for Thanksgiving!! You found that bowl for a reason and now YOUR kids can see the egg flower at meals too!!The potato salad will taste a million times better in that bowl.
Marcey
Oooooooooh........Round Top..........I've heard of that. I love, love, love Canton. In fact, I could use a trip right now! Wanna meet???
I love your bowl and especially the story behind it. I don't have many things (really any) from my Granny and it's really at this point that I'm wondering why! I'm getting very sentimental in my old age! I agree with Marcey - use it. Make some memories!
Oh and LOVE your new look on the blog. I *heart* fall!
ohhhhh i LIKE!!! beautiful layout girl. did you find this on cutest blog on the block? Love that site. sure warm and cozy over here!
Post a Comment