I think I noticed the baby birds in the nest outside the front door a week ago today. In all my forty something years, I'd never experienced that before. I've also never had a dog have puppies or a cat have kittens. Maybe someday. Anyhoo, yesterday morning I went to look at them and was devastated to see two of them lying on the ground. Dead. When I looked in the nest, I could only see one and it was barely moving and didn't even pick it's little head up to look at me. I couldn't find the third one and figured the neighborhood cat (not Minnie, she doesn't go out except for a few minutes out the back door) got it. I don't know why people let their cats roam around at night, but Minnie "protects" our house frequently when they come around the front windows at night. Have you ever heard a cat yell? Hubby says she's possessed. I say she's just protecting us from the bad night kitties. Later in the day I went out and saw the third bird in the flower bed. Dead. I guess it was under a bush when I went looking for it the first time. But the bird in the nest was making noise and moving around so I thought one out of four isn't too bad. Then last night, during the baseball game (yep, that time of year again), we hear Minnie going into spaz mode again. Sure enough, one of the night cats was by the window. I could hear momma and daddy bird squawking but the baby bird was still safe in the nest. By now, I'm obsessed with this bird and chased the bad cat away. I told the momma bird to protect it's baby. About 30 min. later, at the beginning of the 10th inning, which we finally won, I went out again. The baby bird was gone! I took the flashlight out and looked around the bushes but couldn't see it or hear it. I've looked around this morning and haven't seen it anywhere. I'm hoping it got away and is safe and sound.
Boring life?
Maybe.




4 comments:
I am crying!! You don't have a boring life, you are sweet and have a precious heart! I hope the mommy and daddy got the baby away from the mean psycho cat!!!!
Awww, that is so sad Laura. I've been keeping up with your posts on these precious little birds.
I'm so sorry to hear that they are gone. :(
I agree with the comment before mine....you are not boring you are precious & caring.
P.S. I'm not a cat lover. They've always appeared sneaky to me and I can't tell what they're thinking. ;)
The fires in OK were so sad to watch last night.
I think last night I was more in shock watching it all.
This morning the tears came. I updated my blog and told about a man being interviewed who saved his home with a water hose. His next door neighbor's home burned to the ground as well as the neighbors across the street. The ones across the street had moved in just recently and the man is in Iraq fighting for our country. Isn't that so sad?!!
It's really weird. The wind was really crazy. My husband & I had gone to eat dinner and I could barely get his truck door open to get in because the wind was so strong.
I hope your friends are all okay.
Have a good weekend Laura.
Valerie
I think that baby flew away with his mommy and daddy!! That's the way I'll think of it, at least!!!
Good for you for shoo-ing the bad cats away - and that Minnie is just cracking me up!
Post a Comment