Saturday, February 14, 2009

HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY BLOGGY FRIENDS

In the past two years, my Valentine's Day has actually taken on new meaning. In 1997, I took a little part time job with Hallmark Cards. You're probably thinking, "oh she worked in a Hallmark store". Nope, worked inside Wally World in their greeting card department. I will spare you the details of working there. Some of you may love to go there and I'd hate to spoil your high opinion (totally tongue in cheek here). Within one year, I was promoted to a manager's position and the company kicked off a whole new procedure for staffing their department. Instead of WM associates doing the stocking, my company was responsible for it. I remember the first person I hired. It was terrible. She lasted about one week. The second lady stayed and became someone very dear to me. Years passed and God blessed my "work" and brought many Godly women to me. Then I moved to Houston. End of "nice job", beginning of, well you can fill in the blanks however you'd like.

In 2006, God opened my eyes and I walked away from my job. Physically, I was exhausted, needed knee surgery and some "female" surgery. Mentally, I was completely wiped out. Spiritually, I was empty as far as my job went. I continued working on a part-time basis as needed. In 2008, I hadn't worked in four months and fell out of the payroll system. Shortly after that, I received my paperwork reguarding my retirement benefits. I filled out the paperwork, mailed them back in and don't imagine I'll think about it again for 20 more years.

So this brings me to 2009. Happy Valentine's Day friends. If you haven't bought your cards yet, shame on you....they've been on the shelf since the first of January. Now you'll have to deal with the wacko's out there.

5 comments:

RamblinRealtor said...

AAhhhh Hallmark! I did enjoy my 4 yrs w/that one too! I did say today to Gary, "I'm so glad I'm not workin the cards today"! I still can't look for cards without straightening them as I go, and feel guilty if I buy Ambassador cards! But I sure LOVED my boss!!

valerie said...

Thank you for the birthday wish.
I have had a very good one!
I hope you had a Happy Valentine's Day!

Mary Morrow said...

I waited till the 13th to purchase my cards... LOL!!! But I went in the morning & the aisle was practically dead.
Thanks for your prayers for my friend's family. They are greatly appreciated!
Happy Late Valentine's Day!

Growin' with it said...

oh how i wish you could hire me!☺ i do have to be honest. i'm a no frills valentine. save the 3 buck card and bring me chocolate!

happy day to you too!

Beverly said...

I ALWAYS think of you when I pass by the card aisle at the big stinky store!!

But, since I have 8 bazillion dollars invested in rubber stamps, the Cutest Boy would prolly hang me if I ever bought a card. :)

Happy Heart Day to you!!