
Admit it, this is THE coolest flower you've ever seen! It's certainly the only one I've ever had that took five years to bloom. I'm not very patient with plants. If they don't do well, I pull 'em up and replant them or throw them away. I had a bougenvilla plant that I just knew was dead two summers ago. 
(notice the chewed on pot? thanks, Bailey) I thought it had a disease...all the leaves fell off, the bark turned white and it was just nasty looking. So I was going to throw it away. When I went to dig it out of the pot, fire ants came crawling out of it. I dropped it and ran so I wouldn't get stung. Dewayne asked me what the deal was with the plant and I told him it was dead AND had fire ants in it. He put it behind the garage, where things go to die at our house, and I forgot about it. Then last spring I went back to get the pot, hoping the ants have moved on, and the plant had started sprouting new growth! It bloomed and was beautiful and found it's way back to the patio. Anyway, back to the Bird of Paradise. Yesterday Jordan had friends over to swim and I panicked...."what if they hurt my plant? It's finally blooming, It's beautiful, I WROTE A BLOG ABOUT IT!!! So I gathered other pots and surrounded it to protect it from those wild boys playing volleyball

(notice the chewed on pot? thanks, Bailey) I thought it had a disease...all the leaves fell off, the bark turned white and it was just nasty looking. So I was going to throw it away. When I went to dig it out of the pot, fire ants came crawling out of it. I dropped it and ran so I wouldn't get stung. Dewayne asked me what the deal was with the plant and I told him it was dead AND had fire ants in it. He put it behind the garage, where things go to die at our house, and I forgot about it. Then last spring I went back to get the pot, hoping the ants have moved on, and the plant had started sprouting new growth! It bloomed and was beautiful and found it's way back to the patio. Anyway, back to the Bird of Paradise. Yesterday Jordan had friends over to swim and I panicked...."what if they hurt my plant? It's finally blooming, It's beautiful, I WROTE A BLOG ABOUT IT!!! So I gathered other pots and surrounded it to protect it from those wild boys playing volleyball
And I warned Jordan to NOT let the ball go near the plant. It didn't and I took the first picture early this morning.
Yes, I'm a little obsessed with this plant. But not as much as Bailey is with the squirrel. I took these pics of her yesterday in various spots, but always looking for it

It reluctantly started up the tree looking a little annoyed that I was bothering it during snack time

I'm really glad none of my neighbor's came out while I was standing in the front yard taking pictures of the squirrel. If they only knew what goes on in the backyard.....
Watching Bailey search for the squirrel made me think about searching for God. Am I constantly searching for God? Do I look for the little things He's blessed me with daily? Do I give up when the going gets rough? Or worse, try to handle it myself? I need to work on that.
When I wrote the original blog last month, Clint and his girlfriend had just broken up. We were heart sick for and with him. We've grown a lot the last several weeks. Life goes on. He's doing pretty well, the best I can tell (he doesn't live here). He's finished one class, started a job at the bookstore (woo hoo, discount on textbooks!! Thank you God), and to my knowledge, hasn't had anymore contact with her. I still pray daily for him to let God use him however He wants and for Clint to renew and make new Godly relationships. I think the Bird of Paradise is a symbol for us of the beauty God has given us in that He forgives us when we mess up and His mercies are new every day.
For that, I am thankful.









5 comments:
what a sweet and deep post girl! loved it! loved your low-maintenance flower, your obsessed dog like mine and all the ways God has been growing you lately! loved it, loved it, loved it!
You are an amazing lady, ya know that! I loved watching Bailey getting the squirrel, isn't just like a squirrel to be that conivving? I am so glad that God isn't, unlike that animal He is waiting with His arms open wide begging us to come to him daily, hourly...what an awesome God!
I love, love, love how you relate that flower to Clint!! It's so completely true for all of us. The Lord really spoke to me through your post. I hope Clint continues to GROW and find happiness in a new direction.
Now...those pics of the dog and squirrell absolutely made me cry laughing. What a story they tell!!
what a great post!! Loved every word of it!! Thanks for sharing your heart and all you are learning.
Hey Laura! Thanks for stopping by my blog. Your yard is beautiful...great shot of the squirrel! I haven't read back far enough to understand the relationship Clint had with his ex-girlfriend, but I love how you tied it all together with a reminder of God's grace. Nice to meet you.
Post a Comment