I'm going to copy off my good friend Linda and post about Mother's Day. I became a mom 21 years ago the first time. We were the last of our group of friends to get preggers and I wondered if it was ever going to happen. C. has been a blessing to me since the day he was born. Except for the time he......
Then came J. He's been the "strong willed child" and I've often said (to him) if he had been the first, he would of been the only. He's my nurturing child and hopes to be a physical therapist. He's also been the one with all the injuries. He's been on crutches three times in 6 years! Maybe it's because I dropped him on his head when he was a month old. Yep, he was already screaming his little head off as I was getting his bottle ready and he literally jumped out of my arms and landed on the kitchen floor!! We spent the night in the hospital "just for observation". He had to have cat scans every 30 days (I think it was 30, it doesn't really matter anymore) for three months to make sure there was no bleeding. He was fine. Never had any problems. But talk about GUILT.....


My own mom passed away Oct. 2, 1995. She was 69, I was 30. The first few MDs I had without her were pretty hard because I'd started working for Hallmark. Ugh, I hated MD cards. Didn't want to look at them, read them or watch women buy them for their moms. I've been moving stuff around in my closet and came across an old box of pictures. These are the ones that belonged to her and when we were cleaning things out of her house, my sister told me to "get some pictures". So I took the whole box! Here's some vintage pictures of my mom, Helen
1972 (yep, that's little L and my nephew Jeremy). That's her first grandchild. My sister had a baby girl a few years before that, but she died the next day so Jeremy was a pretty special baby!

My dad must have taken this one since there's so much wall behind her. She was barely 5 feet tall and he was well over 6 feet! The red thing on the wall is a spoon rest. I don't know why it was hanging on the wall. Someday I will ask her.
Like me, she had a silly streak. She's modeling my socks here. Check out her great figure!
Another special gal in my life is my sister. She's 17 years older than me. This pic was taken in 1979 and is the only pic I can find of the three of us together.
I've been blessed with the most amazing mother-in-law in the world!!! We've never, in 27 years, had a cross word with one another. If I'm HALF the mil she is, I'll consider it an accomplishment.
She's showing J. how to embroider. She crocheted (that's an odd word to spell) her three kids afghans, their spouses, her grandkids, and even managed to get two finished for her two great grandkids before her eyesight and arthritis got too bad. She had us choose our colors then she'd get busy with her crocheting


Happy Mother's Day to my mom bloggy friends! Here's a special shout out to my nephew's wife, Allison. I'm thinking of you and praying for you on this first MD without your mom. I promise, it won't always hurt so much. I love you.



5 comments:
What a wonderful beautiful post! Thank you my friend, I love you so much!
Awww, Laura that is the sweetest post.
I love the pictures of your boys together & the pictures of your mom are precious...and yes, she did have quite the figure. I know you miss her.
Your mother-in-law sounds like an amazing woman.
I have a great mil too and feel blessed as well.
Happy Mother's Day Laura!
I'm so glad our paths crossed via the world wide
web! :)
Love,
Valerie
Dear Laura,
Guess what I received in the mail today?!!!
Yes, my Houston Starbucks mug. I was so excited!
I had a little brunch this morning with my mom, daughter, sisters, niece, mil, sil, her daughter-in-law & her son ..... and the doorbell rang and it was the mailman with two packages. It was pretty neat and ironic that it happened the same time, but my niece just returned from San Francisco and she sent me a Starbucks mug from there.
Thank you so much for being so thoughtful!
My collection is growing and I love each and every one of them. I'll think of you every time I look at it.
Love you & hope you have a wonderful Mother's Day!
Valerie, your OKLAHOMA friend! Boomer Sooner!!!
What a beautiful post! You are truly a special and blessed mother. Hope you had a wonderful day!
What a great post. I didn't realize you were such a "youngster" in your family! I hope your day was fabulous!
Post a Comment