As I said in the last post, the past two summers we've been to the lake, it's rained cats and dogs. And last week looked iffy for a while too. We stopped in OKC for a very, very quick visit at church. The youth was having a "water" night from 5:30-7:00ish. We were pushing it to be there by 6:00 and doing pretty well when all of a sudden, traffic on I-35 came to a complete stop! As far as I can see, there are cars....not moving. It reminded me of the mass exodus from Houston during Hurricane Rita. Then I see the sign "Road Work next 10 miles" Oh No! This will delay our trip probably several hours, we'll miss friends at church completely, and should probably just head over to the lake and forget OKC. Nonsense. I was raised in southeast Oklahoma and know the back roads like the back of my hand. Okay, it's the part of my hand I haven't looked at in 25 years or so, but I do have GPS in my truck. So, I say to Jordan, who's driving "take the Wynnewood exit son, we're going on an adventure". I hear groans from the backseat. So, off we go on a road I haven't been on since probably 1982. Clint's girlfriend was with us and it gave her a chance to see rural Oklahoma. Heck, it gave my sons a chance to see rural Oklahoma too! We made it to the church by 7:15 and were able to catch a few friends still there. We then drove by our old house. It looked beautiful...happy. The hydrangea I planted in 2001 was huge! We drove down the street to the bridge that led to nowhere when we lived there (now, it's a road to more houses). It was a place of adventure for the little boys and only a ball game whistle away. Funny, I whistled at them in St. Thomas when they couldn't see us, and they knew immediately it was me (Bible story here, but I'm in a hurry). Anyway, we enjoyed seeing the neighborhood, got to our friend's house, had another bff over for a quick visit, then hit the road for the 2 hour trip to Lake Eufaula. We arrived at 11:00 pm...we left our house in Houston at 11:00 am. We were tired and ready to go to bed.


One of the first years we went there, Jordan got stuck on this rock and I had to climb up and get him. I told him he was on his own this year!


Jordan and Bobby. Maybe later, I'll go thru old pics and find one of the first ones of them standing here. They were about 8 or 9 then.






4 comments:
Awesome!! Looks like y'all had a great time!
These pics look like so much fun! I miss long lake weekends!! I can't get over how much all the boys have grown up!
So beautiful! It looks like you all had a great time! :)
I so enjoyed this, we went in October of 1999 to Lake Eufala. Beautiful place.
When you post again, how about a picture of yourself at the lake. ;-)
Lovingly,
Yolanda
Post a Comment