Monday, July 20, 2009

MOVING WEEKEND

Saturday was a tough day...bittersweet. Clint (I've decided to start using real names, instead of initials or made up names)and Jordan are sharing a house for college this year, along with one other roommate. Clint has lived in student housing the past three years, therefore, he didn't need furniture...until now. His roommate has living room and dining room furniture so we didn't have to worry about that. We had to make a decision about bedroom furniture for both of them. Jordan got new stuff courtsesy Hurricane Ike so we had decided to let him take it with him. This will leave his bedroom completely empty....I will not set foot inside it for the next year. That will be another post, I'm sure. We decided to buy ourselves new furniture and give Clint our old stuff. My hubby had bought our bedroom set before we were married, making our furniture about 28 years old and still in perfect condition. We've moved this furniture eight times plus the several smaller moves across town into different homes and it's made it perfectly. We get to College Station and start unloading the dresser and I see a huge scratch on it! I guess we're not the best movers afterall. Anyway, as I was polishing it one last time in Clint's bedroom, I begin to cry. I'm pretty much an emotional mess right now getting ready for Jordan to move out. A few other things have got me stirred up as well. I found out Thursday, one of our worship leaders has been called to another church in Atlanta and will be moving in a couple of weeks. He's a Sooner like me and we have to stick together here in Texas. He and his family are the second Sooner families to move from my choir in the past year. Not fair at all!

I'm not ready for this phase of my life. I'm not old enough to be an empty nester. I don't want Jordan to move away. I've been one of "those" moms for 21 years. You know, the one that shows up everywhere the kids are. Beginning in "extended session" when they were newborns; VBS; children's choir; homeroom mom; team mom for soccer and baseball; (NEVER missed a game my boys were playing in. I remember walking as fast as I could from one baseball diamond to the other trying not to miss anything. I even quit playing softball when my boys were playing baseball because our games were on the same night). I'm being honest right now...I'm miserable thinking about this. Please pray for me as I go thru this transition. My heart is so sad.

Aren't you glad you came by my blog today? What a bummer.

7 comments:

Growin' With It said...

sheesh...and i'm upset D-Man is getting a locker at school this fall?. aww laura, my heart really goes out to you, it truly does. i have no idea how i am going to face this someday.

but i will say what an incredible mommy you have been, are and doggone it...ALWAYS WILL BE...no matter how old they are or where they move to. "chin up" (or slug me next time for saying that to help you feel better)! hee hee.

Yolanda said...

Reflect upon all those sweet memories, and soak in the smells.

That is what comforted me immensley when our home became an empty nest. But it was not completely empty and I'm so thankful that GOD put it on our hearts....to spend time with one another, just the two of us. :-)

Lovingly,
Yolanda

Al's World said...

I do have to say I have been worried about you. I know how hard this is going to be for you (I didn't even know how hard it was for my mom until I learned that every time I came home and left she cried!) You are an AWESOME mommy and you will ALWAYS be their mommy. You have prepared them for this, this is an exciting time for them, and at first this is not going to be exiting for you, but I know it can be for you eventually. I love you so much Laura, you mean so much to me and it kills me to see you so sad. This as a new adventure for you and Dewayne and for the boys, trust God that He is going to meet your every move and guide you through this new and exciting stage in your life. Believe me I am having to look at myself this as I send my baby to K4 for the first time! Hang in there, I am there for you!

Penny said...

Awww...don't worry, Laura! It'll be okay! Just lean on your husband and get IM so you can instantly chat with Clint! =) I'll be praying for you!!!

Cara said...

You'll have to come visit O-Town! I'm leaving in a month & Al is leaving a month after that, so my Mom will be in the same boat. Ya'll should take a trip together or something! :o)

valerie said...

Awwww, Laura I am sad with you!

I so well remember how weird it was when our first born left for college. It was so strange not to have all his friends around all the time.

Then a couple of years later, Kristen left. The house was so quiet and different.

We were like you...very involved in their lives. I missed one of their basketball game in 1999 when I had surgery.

Although it's a tough change at first, you really do get used to it and you and your husband will develop a new and special bond.
How far away are the boys? You'll just have to visit often.

I'm so sorry to hear about your Sooner buddy who is moving. :(

I'll be keeping you in my prayers. God will get you through this transition.

Love,
Valerie

Beverly said...

Oh Laura! I am just now catching up on blogs and found this. It made me cry! I can't imagine how it will be for you - what a change.

But I do know you've been thru changes before and have come out shining on the other side.

Please take good notes because even though I have grounded Roman and Josh for life - I don't think it will keep them at home! (rebels!! haha) It just flies by too quickly, right?

Many (((hugs))) to you!